This parish has its origin as an early ecclesiastical administrative division but later became used for civil purposes. It was found in the main civil records of the nineteenth century and the 1901 and 1911 censuses. It is no longer in use.
Civil Parishes consisted of a number of townlands. In the nineteenth century County Louth was divided into 64 civil parishes. Click CIVIL PARISHES for names, area and population totals of each before and after the Great Famine and MAP for situation of each.
By the 1901 census parts of three other civil parishes were added.
|Jonesborough||five townlands only:- |
and Ravensdale Park
were listed under this civil parish. Previously they were part of Ballymascanlan Civil Parish;
|Colp||Newtown - in Drogheda Borough |
Stameen - part in Drogheda Borough.
|Donore||Rathmullan - part in Drogheda Borough.|
Some civil parishes also crossed county boundaries. These were:
|St., Mary's, Drogheda|
Link to the top of the page
Home page Link to
County Louth page